The Order of Corporate Reunion was established in 1874 to promote the restoration of the Church of England to apostolic unity with the universal Church. The Roman Catholic authority for endorsing its founding was the Patriarch of Venice, Joseph Aloysius Cardinal Trevisanto, who upon the authorization of His Holiness Pope Pius IX, made the necessary arrangements for the consecration of its prelates to the episcopate, in order that these prelates, now Roman Catholic bishops in good standing, might correct any defects in the order of Anglican clergy for the purpose of facilitating an end to the Anglican schism.
The senior figures of the Order of Corporate Reunion were Thomas Wimberley Mossman, Frederick George Lee, and John Thomas Seccombe. All three of these men were consecrated to the episcopate by Roman Catholic bishops upon the authorization of His Holiness Pope Pius IX.
On June 7th 1877, the Archbishop of Milan, Luigi Nazari di Calabiani consecrated Thomas Wimberley Mossman to the episcopate. Archbishop Nazari di Calabiani was assisted by Domenico Agostino (Patriarch of Venice) and Vincenzo Moretti (Archbishop of Ravenna).
On July 7th 1877, the Patriarch of Venice, Domenico Agostino consecrated Frederick George Lee to the episcopate. Patriarch Domenico Agostino was assisted by Luigi Nazari di Calabiani (Archbishop of Milan).
Also, in 1877 (date unknown), the Archbishop of Milan, Luigi Nazardi di Calabiani consecrated John Thomas Seccombe to the episcopate.
Over the course of the past century and a half, the Order of Corporate Reunion has provided conditional ordination to hundreds of Anglican clergy and conditional consecration to several notable Anglican bishops.
(1) We are honored to acknowledge Percy Dearmer, author of The Parson’s Handbook, as a bishop of the Order of Corporate Reunion. Percy Dearmer was consecrated to the episcopate by John Thomas Seccombe and Frederick George Lee on August 15th 1894.
(2) We are honored to acknowledge Francisco Pagtakhan, bishop of the Philippine Independent Church, as a bishop of the Order of Corporate Reunion. Before joining the Order of Corporate Reunion and receiving conditional consecration from the bishops of the Order of Corporate Reunion in 1988, Francisco Pagtakhan served as one of the two consecrators at the Denver consecrations in 1978, when four Anglican priests were consecrated to the episcopate for the Anglican Continuum.
(3) Several bishops currently serving in the various Anglican jurisdictions had at least one consecrator participate in their consecration to the episcopate who was a bishop of the Order of Corporate Reunion. Some of these bishops serve in the Anglican Catholic Church and Anglican Province of America.
Historically speaking, the ministry of the Order of Corporate Reunion has been generally restricted to remedying the defects in the orders of Anglican clergy, with a view to eventual corporate restoration of the Anglican Church to communion with the See of Rome. For a number of decades, however, the Order did receive under its patronage the Apostolic Episcopal Church, a Chaldean Catholic Church in communion with the See of Rome. In addition, through its collaboration with Bishop Peter Zhurawetsky of the American World Patriarchs, the Order of Corporate Reunion has also succeeded in bringing peace and reconciliation between East and West on a modest scale, through its establishment of communion with the Belarusian Slavic Orthodox Church Abroad. Accordingly, in addition to healing the Anglican schism, the Order of Corporate Reunion is now involved in efforts to heal the Great Schism of 1054 between Rome and the Eastern Patriarchs.
May Blessed Pius IX intercede for us as we continue this work, entrusted to us by him, of working to heal the Church of the sin of schism.
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF RECTORS
* Frederick George LEE: 03-04.07.1877 - 22.01.1902
* Arthur Henry STANTON: 22.01.1902 - 03.01.1911
* Arnold Harris MATHEW: 03.01.1911 - 20.12.1919
* Arthur William HOWARTH: 21.12.1919 - 08.08.1933
* George Kennedy Allen BELL: 08.08.1933 - 03.10.1958
* Friedrich Johann HEILER: 03.10.1958 - 28.04.1967
* Diederick D. J. QUATANNENS: 28.04.1967 - 07.07.1998
* Bertil PERSSON 07.07.1998 - 01.07.2005
* Peter Paul BRENNAN: 01.07.2005 - 01.08.2016
* Michael KLINE: 01.08.2016 -11.04.2022
* Richard CUMMING: 11.04.2022-present